Tuesday, June 22, 2010

A Jam Good Time


I realize that there a lot of posts out there on how to make jam but I wanted to share a few of my, well let's just call them calculated mistakes. I am a Splenda junkie, now I know there is some controversy on Splenda but I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE it. With that said I was wanted to make a low sugar/no sugar jam that everyone in my family could enjoy whether they can't have sugar or they are anti-Splenda. I found this great pectin that said on the package "No Sugar Needed Fruit Pectin" which was exactly what I was looking for. I started by picking 4 quarts of strawberries from a local farm that had pick-your-own. I was a bit late in the season but I managed to find the ripest, freshest strawberries left in the well picked patch.


I started by capping (cutting the green top off) the strawberries and mashing them with a potato mashed until they reached the chunkiness I like in my jam.



Once I had the strawberries all mashed up I turned to the directions on the package for freezer jam because I think that it taste so much fresher from the freezer. After reading the directions on the package I saw this little box in the corner and after looking at it I realized it was guidelines for adding sugar… hmmm. So I decided I was going to try the honey substitution and then I made a few batches with no sugar. I ended up making A LOT more jam then expected but I am very excited to have strawberry jam in January. A few tips from my experience in jam making.
  1. Clean and dry all your jars/containers before starting the cooking process.
  2. Follow the directions exactly, including the exact amounts of ingredients.
  3. Fill the jars, leaving ½" for expansion in the freezer.
  4. Clean the rim with a damp cloth to allow for the best seal to keep in the freshness
  5. KEY TIP!!!! Only make ONE (1) batch at a time. Doubling the recipe could prevent the jam from setting properly.
  6. ENJOY!

Happy Jamming!

Sammy Gene

No comments:

Post a Comment